According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 25% of adults over 65 have no original teeth. Many of them have chosen dentures. This is understandable, although dental implants from Sven Bone Dentistry in Bozeman may be a better option.
13 Problems With Dentures
1. Dentures usually fit properly at first, but the mouth changes as you age. Normal wear and tear take their toll. Eventually, the dentures will need to be relined or replaced. But even quality dentures which fit properly cause issues, both physical and mental.
2. The human body is designed to have teeth that are anchored in the jaw. But dentures move around in the mouth.
3. Ill-fitting dentures can irritate gums and cause inflammation. Inflammation contributes to additional health ailments.
4. Dentures can change a person’s bite which impacts the temporomandibular (jaw) joint. This, in turn, can cause pain in the face, neck, and head.
5. Dentures trap fragments of food. This can result in gum disease. Partial dentures can increase the risk of decay in remaining teeth.
6. Dentures can make food taste different or mask the taste entirely. This can bring about inadequate nutrition.
7. Some people with dentures start eating smaller meals which can lead to weight loss.
8. Dentures can take the pleasure out of eating. This can influence emotional health. (Enjoying a meal is often the best part of the day, don’t you agree?)
9. Inadequate calorie consumption lowers energy levels. This affects the power to work, travel, and participate in hobbies and recreational activities.
10. Dentures stymie chewing power. Many denture wearers stop eating nuts, high-fiber foods, and raw vegetables. All of these are part of a healthy diet.
11. Reduced chewing ability can cause the denture wearer to swallow bigger chunks of food. This can result in digestive problems. It also increases the risk of choking.
12. Dentures can interfere with speaking. When speaking ability is limited, some people avoid social situations and are at a greater risk for depression.
13. Missing teeth eventually result in bone loss. When the jaw no longer has tooth roots, it shrinks and recedes.
These issues can be prevented by dental implants, which are titanium posts inserted into the jaw, where the fuse and create solid support for replacement teeth. Call Sven Bone Dentistry in Bozeman to learn more. We also offer cosmetic dentistry and other services. Make an appointment today.
Contact Sven Bone Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):